Where's My Plow?
All of PennDOT's roughly 2,200 PennDOT-owned and rented plow trucks are equipped with Automated Vehicle Location (AVL) systems, which use in-truck technology to log and share data in real-time for that truck. The routes of these interstate and expressway trucks can be viewed in real-time at
The AVL unit in each truck sends a cellular signal through the system showing where a truck is located and whether or how much material is being spread from the truck.
Find Your Plow at 511PA.com
PennDOT uses AVL to:
- Monitor vehicle movement and plow-route coverage;
- Monitor the system during winter storms or emergencies and, if needed, see the closest truck to an area that needs additional service and direct trucks to that location;
- Review data on effectiveness in returning traffic to pre-storm conditions;
- Review usage of materials such as salt and anti-skid through the various stages of a weather event; and
- Interface with other department technology to combine real-time weather and road conditions with corresponding material-usage rates.