King of Prussia, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) reopened the historic Loux Covered Bridge over Cabin Run on Carver-Wismer Road in Bedminster Township, Bucks County today following the completion of a rehabilitation project.
Built in 1874 and reconstructed in 1996, the one-span, steel-I beam, timber-covered bridge had been closed since August due to structural damage sustained from impact by an oversized vehicle.
The one-lane bridge is 80 feet long and 19 feet wide, and has a posted weight limit of 15 tons and a height limit of 11 feet. The structure carries an average of 486 vehicles a day.
Construction on the bridge was performed under PennDOT’s $11,766,000 project to rehabilitate five structurally-deficient bridges in Bucks, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, and replace six structurally-deficient culverts in Bucks, Chester and Delaware counties.
Construction is scheduled to begin next month to rehabilitate the bridge carrying Route 113 (Souderton Road) over Mill Creek in Hilltown Township, Bucks County; replace the bridge carrying Route 282 (Creek Road) over a branch of Brandywine Creek in East Brandywine Township, Chester County; and replace the State Road bridge over a branch of Cooks Creek in Springfield Township, Bucks County.
The bridges currently under construction include:
• Henry Avenue over Wissahickon Creek in Philadelphia; and
• Rocky Ridge Road over a branch of Tohickon Creek in Richland Township, Bucks County.
Structures completed under this project include:
• Oxford Valley Road over U.S. 1 in Falls, Lower Makefield and Middletown townships, Bucks County;
• Route 663 (Layfield Road) bridge over Green Lane Reservoir Creek in Upper Hanover Township, Montgomery County;
• Edenton Road bridge over Rattlesnake Run in Upper Oxford Township, Chester County;
• Torresdale Avenue bridge over Academy Road in Philadelphia; and
• Route 82 (Doe Run Road) over a branch of Sucker Run in East Fallowfield Township, Chester County.
The other culvert replacements on this project include:
• White Horse Road over a branch of Pickering Creek in Schuylkill Township, Chester County; and
• MacDade Boulevard over the Muckinipattis Creek in Glenolden Borough, Delaware County.
Work on the entire project is expected to be completed in August 2018.
Loftus Construction, Inc. of Cinnaminson, N.J., is the general contractor on this project that is financed with 100 percent state funds through Act 89, Pennsylvania’s transportation plan.
For more information on projects occurring or being bid this year, those made possible by or accelerated by Act 89, or those on the department’s Four and Twelve Year Plans, visit www.projects.penndot.gov
A list of weekly road restrictions and PennDOT maintenance operations in the five-county Philadelphia region is available by visiting the District 6 Traffic Bulletin at www.penndot.gov/District6
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com
. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 850 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
MEDIA CONTACT: Bob Kent, 610-205-6801