Our vision at PennDOT is to create a better quality of life built on transportation excellence while exuding the values of safety, modernization, customer service, communication, and workforce development.
Recently, 35 of our employees were recognized for their contributions to this vision at the agency and state levels.
Governor's Awards for Excellence
The Governor's Awards for Excellence is a prestigious and competitive program that recognizes commonwealth employees for exemplary job performance or service that reflects initiative, leadership, innovation, and increased efficiency.
Six PennDOT employees were part of a team of seven state employees honored for their role in relocating approximately 130,000 mussels from the construction area of the Hunter Station Bridge in Forest County. Many of the mussels were endangered or threatened species. The move prevented a 44-mile detour for over 1,100 vehicles each day and gave the species opportunities to re-establish populations in areas where they have not existed in over a century.
The employees who received the award are:
- Autumn Kelley, environmental specialist, District 1
- Chris Wolfgong, environmental planner, District 1
- Marc Rickard, environmental planner, District 1
- Jeannette Uhl, highway design manager, District 1
- Larry Lineman, traffic control specialist, District 1
- Antonia Zawisa, district environmental specialist, Central Office
- Jordan Allison, fisheries biologist with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
"The employees being recognized have gone above and beyond their job requirements to provide outstanding service and make government more responsive and effective," said Governor Tom Wolf. "Their accomplishments are truly exemplary and inspiring. We are fortunate to have such outstanding public servants working for the people of Pennsylvania."
Individual and group awards were presented to 30 other state employees during a ceremony May 22, 2017.
Star of Excellence Awards
Within PennDOT each year, the secretary gives nominated employees a Star of Excellence Award — the agency's highest recognition — for their outstanding performance.
"The Star of Excellence award illustrates that these employees take to heart our mission of providing the most effective and efficient transportation services for the roughly 12 million people of Pennsylvania," said PennDOT Secretary Leslie S. Richards. "They demonstrate a strong culture of service and caring that makes a big difference for the people of Pennsylvania."
Winners of the 2017 Star of Excellence Awards are listed below. For more information on why each winner was selected, view the slideshow at the bottom of this article or view the Star of Excellence ceremony program. (PDF)
More of our accomplishments can be found in the 2016 Annual Report (PDF).
- Steve Cowan, District 11 press officer, Press Office
- Shane P. Daniels, senior application developer supervisor, Administration
- Sara McFadden, human resource analyst 3, Administration
- Brian D. Hare, P.E., division manager, Planning & Contract Management, Planning
- Mark Kopko, manager, Traveler Information & Advanced Vehicle Technology, Highway Administration
- Thomas P. Macioce, P.E., chief bridge engineer, Highway Administration
- Robert Sharp, acting mass transit manager 2, Multimodal Transportation
- Timothy L. Singleton, Lancaster Driver License Center supervisor, Driver & Vehicle Services
- Darrell R. Chapman, senior highway maintenance manager
- Jimmy Jones, highway drafter
- Matthew P. Lama, transportation construction inspection supervisor
- Shawn E. McFarland, P.E., civil engineer manager
- Betty L. Conner, roadway programs coordinator
- Roberta J. Boyles, labor relations coordinator
- Paul R. Smith, transportation construction manager 2
- Richard G. Summa, bridge and structural design supervisor
- Michael R. Haney Jr., equipment manager
- Owen Wilcox, roadway program coordinator
- John P. Clancy, highway foreman 2
- Brian A. Early, P.E., senior assistant construction engineer
- Kris Feldmeyer, maintenance manager
- Brian Glass, assistant county maintenance manager
- David S. Kammerer, E.I.T., highway maintenance manager
- Kevin M. Gnegy, P.E., civil engineer manager
- William J. Moorhead Jr., highway foreman 2
- Steven M. Vasbinder, transportation construction inspector supervisor
- Cheryl A. Solosky, P.E., bridge and structural design supervisor
- Timothy B. Hann, E.I.T., civil engineer
- Robert C. Dean, P.E., Westmoreland County, acting county maintenance manager
- Tammy Kiger, Washington County, highway foreman 2 – sign foreman