PennDOT Public-Private Partnerships
What is a P3 Project?
A P3 project is a contractual agreement between a public entity and private entity that:
- Transfers the responsibility of a facility’s engineering, construction, operation and/or maintenance to the private sector for a defined period of time;
- Allows the private sector to perform by contract a service previously provided by the public sector; and
- Ensures the private firm receives payments either from existing revenue sources or through the collection of new tolls or user fees.
The two basic P3 project types are:
- New Build Facilities – Adding capacity to the system by building something new.
- Existing Facilities – Improving capacity or performance of the current system through a P3 arrangement.
Public Private Partnerships Office
P.O. Box 3545
Harrisburg, PA 17105
Transportation Partnership Board
Leslie S. Richards, Chair
Secretary of Transportation
Secretary of the Budget
NFP Lincoln Benefits Group
Past Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Gannett Fleming, Inc.
International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 66
Hon. Steve Santarsiero
PA House of Representatives