King of Prussia, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today that construction is scheduled to begin on Monday, March 18, to replace the bridge carrying Route 82 (Creek Road) over East Branch of Red Clay Creek in Kennett Township, Chester County. The bridge has been closed since June 2018 due to serious deterioration of the beams.
Over the next few months, PennDOT’s contractor will replace the superstructure; preform abutment and pier repairs; and pave approaches.
During construction, Route 82 (Creek Road) will remain closed through the end of June near the intersection of Old Kennett Road. Route 82 (Creek Road) motorists will continue to be directed over Old Kennett Road, Bayard Road and Hillendale Road. Local access will be maintained up to the bridge closure.
The two-span steel I-beam bridge was originally built in 1938 and reconstructed in 1974. Prior to its closure, the structure had been posted with a weight limit of 17 tons and a combination weight limit of 23 tons.
The bridge, which is categorized as poor condition, is 50 feet long, 24 feet wide and carries an average of 3,482 vehicles a day.
The bridge replacement is being performed under PennDOT’s $11,766,000 project to repair and rehabilitate 12 bridges in Bucks, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, and replace six culverts in Bucks, Chester and Delaware counties.
Structures completed under this project include:
- Route 32 (River Road) over the Delaware Canal, in Tinicum Township, Bucks County;
- MacDade Boulevard over the Muckinipattis Creek in Glenolden Borough, Delaware County;
- Pocopson Road over Pocopson Creek in Pennsbury and Pocopson townships, Chester County;
- Street Road over Octoraro Creek in Upper Oxford Township, Chester County;
- Grubbs Mill Road over Crum Creek in Willistown Township, Chester County;
- White Horse Road over a branch of Pickering Creek in Schuylkill Township, Chester County;
- Rocky Ridge Road over a branch of Tohickon Creek in Richland Township, Bucks County;
- State Road over a branch of Cooks Creek in Springfield Township, Bucks County;
- Route 282 (Creek Road) over a branch of Brandywine Creek in East Brandywine Township, Chester County;
- Route 113 (Souderton Road) over Mill Creek in Hilltown Township, Bucks County;
- Henry Avenue over Wissahickon Creek in Philadelphia;
- The historic Loux Covered Bridge over Cabin Run on Carver-Wismer Road in Bedminster Township, Bucks County;
- Oxford Valley Road over U.S. 1 in Falls, Lower Makefield and Middletown townships, Bucks County;
- Route 663 (Layfield Road) bridge over Green Lane Reservoir Creek in Upper Hanover Township, Montgomery County;
- Edenton Road bridge over Rattlesnake Run in Upper Oxford Township, Chester County;
- Torresdale Avenue bridge over Academy Road in Philadelphia; and
- Route 82 (Doe Run Road) over a branch of Sucker Run in East Fallowfield Township, Chester County.
Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties at www.penndot.gov/District6.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 860 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAPhilly and like the department on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaDepartmentofTransportation and Instagram at www.instagram.com/pennsylvaniadot.
MEDIA CONTACT: Ayanna Williams, 610-205-6801
# # #