Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is reopening indoor facilities at 23 select rest areas across Pennsylvania to all motorists, including the 13 facilities in critical locations that were
reopened March 18 with portable restrooms and handwashing facilities.
PennDOT's 30 rest areas were temporarily closed statewide on March 17 in response to Governor Tom Wolf's mitigation guidance regarding COVID-19 to ensure that proper safety and sanitation protocols were in place.
"While unnecessary travel is discouraged as we all do our part to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we understand that some trips are necessary and that access to rest areas is important," said Acting PennDOT Secretary Yassmin Gramian. "We are constantly evaluating our actions and services in responding to this emergency and will make adjustments where we can safely do so."
All reopened rest areas will return to normal service with additional cleaning and maintenance. A complete list of open locations is below:
- Interstate 79 northbound in Allegheny County, 8 miles north of Exit 45;
- Interstate 79 northbound in Crawford County, 8 miles north of Exit 154;
- Interstate 79 southbound in Crawford County, 3 miles south of Exit 166;
- Interstate 79 northbound in Lawrence County, 3.5 miles north of Exit 105;
- Interstate 79 southbound in Lawrence County, 3.5 miles south of Exit 113
- Interstate 79 northbound in Mercer County, 5 miles south of Exit 141;
- Interstate 79 southbound in Mercer County, 6 miles north of Exit 130;
- Interstate 80 eastbound in Centre County, 13 miles east of Exit 133;
- Interstate 80 westbound in Centre County, .5 miles west of Exit 147;
- Interstate 80 eastbound in Jefferson County, 1 mile east of Exit 86;
- Interstate 80 westbound in Jefferson County, 10 miles west of Exit 97;
- Interstate 80 eastbound in Montour County, 4.5 miles east of Exit 215;
- Interstate 80 westbound in Montour County, 4.5 miles west of Exit 224;
- Interstate 80 eastbound in Venango County, .5 miles east of Exit 29;
- Interstate 80 westbound in Venango County, 4 miles west of Exit 35;
- Interstate 81 northbound in Cumberland County, .5 miles north of Exit 37;
- Interstate 81 southbound in Cumberland County, 5.5 miles south of Exit 44;
- Interstate 81 northbound in Lackawanna County, .5 miles north of Exit 202;
- Interstate 81 northbound in Luzerne County, 1.5 miles north of Exit 155;
- Interstate 81 southbound in Luzerne County, 1.5 miles south of Exit 159;
- Interstate 81 southbound in Susquehanna County, 4 miles south of Exit 211;
- Interstate 84 eastbound in Pike County, 6 miles east of Exit 20; and
- Interstate 84 westbound in Pike County, 1 mile west of Exit 26.
The department will continue to evaluate and will determine whether additional rest areas can be reopened.
More COVID-19 information is available at
www.health.pa.gov. For more information, visit
MEDIA CONTACTS: Alexis Campbell, 717-603-1815 or Erin Waters-Trasatt, 717-364-7787
# # #