Harrisburg, PA – Twenty-six airports will make infrastructure and equipment upgrades to maintain safety and expand aviation-related operational and economic opportunities with the assistance of over $6 million in state investments, Governor Tom Wolf announced today.
"With more than 400 airports across the state, this support from my administration helps keep aviation a viable transportation alternative and adds to our economy as well," Governor Wolf said. "These airports support hundreds of thousands of jobs and offer services that are attractive to the business community and others interested in general aviation."
Included in the grants is $2.2 million in state funding from PennDOT's Aviation Development Program, which comes from the state's jet fuel tax, and $4 million from the Multimodal fund. The two funding streams leverage $2.1 million in local matching funds. Public-use airports in the state are eligible for the Aviation Development Program.
Following is a by-county list of approved aviation projects under the programs with the state share:
Allegheny County: Allegheny County Airport — $223,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Berks County: Reading Regional / Carl A. Spaatz Field — $552,750 to rehabilitate the terminal parking lot.
Bradford County: Bradford County Airport — $273,000 to improve and expand the existing fuel farm for aviation gasoline.
- Butler Farm Show Airport — $37,500 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield; $45,000 to trim and remove trees off the airport that impact the approach to the runway.
- Pittsburgh – Butler Regional Airport — $90,000 to design the rehabilitation of taxiways and a new access road on the south side of the airport.
Carbon County: Jake Arner Memorial Airport — $995,250 to rehabilitate the airport's aviation gas and jet fuel facility.
- Brandywine Regional Airport — $150,000 for the design of new hangar site infrastructure.
- Chester County/ G.O. Carlson Airport — $1 million for the construction of new hangar site development infrastructure; $18,750 to install an airport communications link between aircraft and air traffic control.
Clarion County: Clarion County Airport — $112,500 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Clinton County: William T. Piper Memorial Airport — $39,109 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Clearfield County: Clearfield Lawrence Airport — $9,000 to install upgrades to the airport's jet fueling equipment.
Cumberland County: Carlisle Airport — $90,000 to trim and remove trees off the airport that impact the approach to the runway.
Elk County: St. Marys Municipal Airport — $75,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Fayette County: Joseph A. Hardy / Connellsville Airport — $75,000 to rehabilitate and replace components of the airport's weather reporting system.
Indiana County: Indiana County / Jimmy Stewart Airport — $75,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Jefferson County: DuBois Regional Airport — $75,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Lawrence County: New Castle Municipal Airport — $112,500 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Luzerne County: Hazleton Regional Airport — $112,500 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Mercer County: Greenville Municipal Airport — $150,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Montgomery County: Heritage Field — $261,525 to design new hangars, taxiway access and an access road.
Monroe County: Pocono Mountains Municipal Airport — $30,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
Schuylkill County: Schuylkill County/Joe Zerbey Airport — $225,000 for an aircraft fueling truck.
Somerset County: Somerset County Airport — $450,000 to construct a new above-ground fueling facility.
Washington County: Washington County Airport — $450,000 to rehabilitate and improve the main on-airport access roadway.
- Arnold Palmer Regional Airport — $187,500 to upgrade radios and other security equipment and miscellaneous improvements; $150,000 for the design of a corporate hangar site development and roadway access improvements.
- Rostraver Airport — $75,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield; $112,500 to improve utility service to airport hangars.
For more information on aviation in Pennsylvania visit www.penndot.gov.
MEDIA CONTACTS: J.J. Abbott, Governor's Office, 717-783-1116
Rich Kirkpatrick, PennDOT, 717-783-8800
# # #