Small Business Enterprise (SBE)
PennDOT has established the Small Business Enterprise (SBE) in accord with, Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations Part 26.39. The SBE is designed to facilitate greater participation of small businesses in transportation related procurements. This element only applies to federally-assisted transportation projects (highway, transit, and aviation). Businesses interested in pursuing SBE certification must meet the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) size standards and submit a completed application. Firms currently certified as a DBE by the Pennsylvania Unified Certification Program (PA UCP) are eligible to participate in the SBE Element and DO NOT need to submit an SBE application. If your firm's DBE certification is removed and you believe you meet the SBE requirements, you must apply for a login and follow the application process for SBE certification. To become an SBE you will need to apply and be certified by PennDOT at www.dotsbe.pa.gov .
SBE Eligibility Requirements
- A for-profit business, owned by a U.S. citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident of the U.S.
- A firm that does not exceed the Small Business Administration's size standards.
- A firm whose average annual gross receipts for the three previous fiscal years does not exceed $23.98 million.
- A U.S. citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident with a personal net worth that does not exceed $1.32 million.
SBE Supportive Services
PennDOT has created an SBE Supportive Services Center to support SBEs in a number of areas including, but not limited to:
- Bid assistance
- Business planning
- Computer training
- Overhead rate assistance
- Engineering and Construction Management System (ECMS) access
- Construction management
The SBE Supportive Services Center will provide all services free of charge via telephone, email, or one-on-one consultation.
For more information about the SBE Program, contact the SBE Supportive Services Center at Cheyney University of Pennsylvania by phone at 610.399.2178 or email at email@example.com or PennDOT's Bureau of Equal Opportunity by phone 717.787.5891/800.468.4201 or email at RA-pdPENNDOTSBE@pa.gov.