King of Prussia, PA – Interstate 676 will be closed and detoured in both directions between the Interstate 76 and Broad Street (Route 611) interchanges in Philadelphia on Monday, September 12, through Thursday, September 15, from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning for overhead bridge construction, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) said today.
The overnight operation is associated with the four-year, $64.8 million project to replace seven structurally deficient bridges over I-676 between 22nd Street and 18th Street, and to make landscaping and streetscape improvements above the expressway. Construction began in April 2015 and will finish in fall 2019.
Crews will work overnight to remove part of the deck and beams from the Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street bridge over I-676. The contractor’s work schedule is weather dependent.
When I-676 east is closed, the following detours will be in place:
• From I-76 east: Exit at 30th Street/Market Street (Exit 345); right at Arch Street; left at 30th Street; left at Market Street; left at 16th Street; right at Vine Street to the ramp to I-676 east;
• From I-76 west: Exit at 30th Street (Exit 345); take Schuylkill Avenue to Market Street; right at Market Street; left at 16th Street; right at Vine Street to the ramp to I-676 east; and
• Traveling east on Benjamin Franklin Parkway intending to use the 24th Street on-ramp: Follow Benjamin Franklin Parkway around Logan Circle and bear right onto Vine Street east; follow Vine Street to the ramp to I-676 east.
When I-676 west is closed, the following detours will be in place for passenger cars and trucks to follow:
• To I-76 East and West: Exit I-676 west at Broad Street (Route 611) Interchange; take 15th Street south; right on J.F.K. Boulevard; right on Schuylkill Avenue and follow signs to I-76 east and I-76 west;
• From 16th Street north of J.F.K. Boulevard: Follow 16th Street north; right at Spring Garden Street; right at 15th Street; right at J.F.K. Boulevard; right on Schuylkill Avenue to ramps to I-76 east and I-76 west; and
• From 16th Street south of J.F.K. Boulevard: Follow 16th Street north; left at J.F.K. Boulevard; right on Schuylkill Avenue to ramps to I-76 east and I-76 west.
Optional detours for passenger cars during the closure of I-676 west include:
• To I-76 West: Exit I-676 west at Broad Street (Route 611) Interchange; take 15th Street south; right onto local Vine Street; right on Benjamin Franklin Parkway and follow around Eakins Oval and onto Spring Garden Street to the ramp to I-76 west; and
• From 16th Street north of J.F.K Boulevard to I-76 West: Follow 16th Street north; left onto local Vine Street; right on Benjamin Franklin Parkway and follow around Eakins Oval and onto Spring Garden Street to the ramp to I-76 west.
The bridges above I-676 at the former Family Court building, Free Library, 19th Street, and Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street are the first of seven structures to be rebuilt under this project. PennDOT’s contractor will replace the spans carrying 22nd Street, 21st Street, and 18th Street during the next major stage of construction.
PennDOT’s contractor is replacing the seven bridges over I-676 in two major stages to minimize traffic impacts.
Buckley & Company, Inc. of Philadelphia is the general contractor on the $64,836,180 project. Construction is financed with 100 percent federal funds.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com
. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 770 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
For more PennDOT information, visit www.penndot.gov
. Follow local PennDOT Information on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAPhilly
, and follow the department on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pennsylvaniadepartmentoftransportation
and Instagram at www.instagram.com/pennsylvaniadot
MEDIA CONTACT: Gene Blaum, 610-205-6800
# # #