King of Prussia, PA – Construction is scheduled to begin on Monday, August 19, to rehabilitate the bridge carrying Thatcher Road over Tohickon Creek in Richland Township, Bucks County, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.
Due to the nature of the repairs, Thatcher Road will be closed and detoured between Axe Handle Road and Erie Road beginning Monday, August 19, through the completion of the project scheduled for late September.
During the bridge closure, Thatcher Road motorists will be directed to use Route 313 (Dublin Pike), Route 563 (Mountainview Drive) and Old Bethlehem Road. Local access will be maintained up to the construction zone.
PennDOT’s contractor will rehabilitate the bridge by removing and replacing the existing superstructure; installing a new bridge deck; performing concrete abutment repairs; milling and paving the roadway; and repairing the guiderail.
Built in 1973, the Thatcher Road Bridge over Tohickon Creek carries an average of 2,461 vehicles a day. The bridge is 201 feet long and 48 feet wide.
The structure is one of 12 bridges in Bucks, Chester and Montgomery counties that PennDOT is repairing under a $5,505,505 project financed by Act 89, the state’s transportation plan.
Structures completed under this project include:
- Township Line Road over Stony Creek in East Norriton and Whitpain townships, Montgomery County;
- Thatcher Road over Kimples Creek in Haycock Township, Bucks County;
- Farmington Avenue over Route 100 (Pottstown Pike) in Upper Pottsgrove Township, Montgomery County;
- Gypsy Lane over Interstate 76 in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County;
- Northbound U.S. 1 over Church Road in New Garden Township, Chester County;
- Southbound U.S. 1 over Church Road in New Garden Township, Chester County;
- Cowpath Road over Perkiomen Creek in Salford and Franconia townships, Montgomery County;
- Township Road over U.S. 1 in Lower Oxford Township, Chester County;
- University Road bridge over U.S. 1 in Upper Oxford Township, Chester County;
- Spring Garden Street bridge over Interstate 76 in West Conshohocken Borough, Montgomery County; and
- Terwood Road bridge over Pennypack Creek in Upper Moreland Township, Montgomery County.
Loftus Construction, Inc., of Cinnaminson, N.J., is the general contractor on the project which is financed with 100 percent state funds through Act 89, Pennsylvania’s transportation plan.
Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties at www.penndot.gov/District6.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com or downloading the 511PA application for iPhone and Android devices. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 950 traffic cameras.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAPhilly and like the department on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaDepartmentofTransportation and Instagram at www.instagram.com/pennsylvaniadot.
MEDIA CONTACT: Ayanna Williams, 610-205-6801
# # #