King of Prussia, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has reopened the bridge carrying Route 32 (River Road) over the Delaware Canal, in Tinicum Township, Bucks County, following the completion of interim repairs.
PennDOT’s contractor replaced the the existing deck, steel beams, and guiderail; and performed minor repairs to the stone masonry abutments.
Built in 1932, the single-span steel I-beam bridge is 45 feet long, 18 feet wide and carries an average of 2,132 vehicles a day.
PennDOT is in the early preliminary engineering phase of a project to rehabilitate or replace the 86-year-old bridge.
The bridge repairs were performed under PennDOT’s $11,766,000 project to repair and rehabilitate 11 bridges in Bucks, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, and replace six culverts in Bucks, Chester and Delaware counties.
Structures completed under this project include:
- MacDade Boulevard over the Muckinipattis Creek in Glenolden Borough, Delaware County;
- Pocopson Road over Pocopson Creek in Pennsbury and Pocopson townships, Chester County;
- Street Road over Octoraro Creek in Upper Oxford Township, Chester County;
- Grubbs Mill Road over Crum Creek in Willistown Township, Chester County;
- White Horse Road over a branch of Pickering Creek in Schuylkill Township, Chester County;
- Rocky Ridge Road over a branch of Tohickon Creek in Richland Township, Bucks County;
- State Road over a branch of Cooks Creek in Springfield Township, Bucks County;
- Route 282 (Creek Road) over a branch of Brandywine Creek in East Brandywine Township, Chester County;
- Route 113 (Souderton Road) over Mill Creek in Hilltown Township, Bucks County;
- Henry Avenue over Wissahickon Creek in Philadelphia;
- The historic Loux Covered Bridge over Cabin Run on Carver-Wismer Road in Bedminster Township, Bucks County;
- Oxford Valley Road over U.S. 1 in Falls, Lower Makefield and Middletown townships, Bucks County;
- Route 663 (Layfield Road) bridge over Green Lane Reservoir Creek in Upper Hanover Township, Montgomery County;
- Edenton Road bridge over Rattlesnake Run in Upper Oxford Township, Chester County;
- Torresdale Avenue bridge over Academy Road in Philadelphia; and
- Route 82 (Doe Run Road) over a branch of Sucker Run in East Fallowfield Township, Chester County.
Loftus Construction, Inc. of Cinnaminson, N.J., is the general contractor on this project that is financed with 100 percent state funds through Act 89, Pennsylvania’s transportation plan.
Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties at www.penndot.gov/District6.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 860 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter at www.twitter.com/PennDOTNews and like the department on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaDepartmentofTransportation and Instagram at www.instagram.com/pennsylvaniadot.
MEDIA CONTACT: Ayanna Williams, 610-205-6801
# # #