Major Bridge P3 Program
The Major Bridge P3 program will allow for the delivery of these major bridges through the appropriate contracting P3 delivery model for each project or package of projects, and will help PennDOT achieve the following goals:
- Accelerate the renewal of major bridges to ensure public safety;
- Avoid time and financial impacts of travel diversion resulting from bridge restrictions and closures due to bridge condition;
- Help offset gas tax revenue losses, as identified by the state
Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) and exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic;
- Ensure users (including out-of-state traffic) contribute fairly to the replacement or rehabilitation of the bridges based on usage; and
- Create a sustainable funding model for the state’s major bridges.
The Major Bridge P3 program is a component of PennDOT's forthcoming Pathways initiative, part of the department’s ongoing work to explore sustainable transportation funding options in response to a growing highway and bridge funding gap. Seventy-four percent of highway and bridge funding is generated through gas taxes, but fuel consumption has been progressively decreasing. The initiative will aim to provide travelers, residents, and businesses with high-quality transportation infrastructure by studying and implementing alternative funding solutions that could address near- and long-term highway and bridge needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
PennDOT Pathways Major Bridges P3 FAQs (PDF)
Major Bridges P3 Program Information Forum — January 7, 2021
Major Bridges P3 Program Informational Forum January 7, 2021 — Attendees (PDF)
PennDOT Pathways Major Bridges P3 Presentation (PDF)
Major Bridge P3 Initiative Resolution
Major Bridge P3 Initiative Press Release — November 12, 2020
Major Bridge P3 Initiative Press Release — February 18, 2021
Major Bridge P3 Industry Outreach -March 29,2021
Download a PDF transcript of this meeting.