Begin Main Content Area

Permitting Process, Forms & Invoicing

For the convenience of the haulers, PennDOT developed a Step-by-Step Guide to Bonding a Posted Road to reference when acquiring a permit to exceed the posted weight limit. Below, haulers can also find an overview on posting and bonding, along with the forms, applications and billing information. Haulers should work with the applicable District Posting and Bonding Coordinator each step of the way.

Posting and Bonding Overview

A posted roadway is any state or locally owned highway that has a weight restriction. The need for a weight restriction is determined through an engineering and traffic study (Publication 46) which examines the existing roadway conditions, including the pavement structure. The study will determine if increased traffic would weaken a roadway and therefore if the roadway should be posted. If a hauler wants to utilize a posted roadway, they must determine if they classify as local traffic or qualify for local determination. If they do not qualify for either of these classifications, the hauler can apply for a permit which requires an Excess Maintenance Agreement (EMA) with a bond.
An EMA ensures that the hauler completes any maintenance beyond the normal routine work. If the hauler does not complete the required maintenance, then their permit will be suspended. As part of the EMA and bonding process, an on-site inspection is completed by PennDOT to document the pre-existing condition of the roadway.
Depending on the type of hauling operation, one of the three types of permits is selected. For more information please review Publication 23, Chapter 15 of the Maintenance Manual that details the permitting requirements. Below are links to the applicable forms and applications.
Excess Maintenance Agreement (M-4902EMA)
    This form* shall be completed and returned with the EMA only if you the USER are responsible to make all damage repairs (Option B in the EMA), and not the Department.

    *The USER has the option to Self-Insure. Please contact the Program Manager for an application.

Application to Add or Remove a Section of Highway (M-4902APP)
  • This form is required to add/drop a permit for a specific posted State Route.

Other forms the USER may need throughout the EMA

Invoicing Information

Haulers may be billed for a variety of cost recovery items. Costs billable to the hauler may include, but are not limited to, Initial Inspections, Interim Inspections, Final Inspections, Road Condition Surveys and any damages that result from the hauler’s use of the road as determined during inspections and surveys.
All payments for invoices shall be sent to:



PO BOX 15758

Payments via credit card are acceptable by using the Credit Card Authorization Form which may be faxed via secure fax line to 717-346-0494.
If you have any questions please contact the appropriate personnel via the Contact Information Page.