PennDOT is hiring for its annual Winter Maintenance Program (WMP), where a winter could become a career. While WMP positions are temporary, joining PennDOT's workforce provides employees with potential advancement opportunities into full-time, permanent positions.
"So, I began here as a temp, eventually got hired on as a TEOA (transportation equipment operator A) operator and worked the TEOA position for a couple years," says Mindy Grego, who works out of Allegheny County. "Got certified on some equipment and I moved into a TEOB position. Eventually applied for a Highway Foreman 2 position and worked the Foreman 2 position for four years. And now I am a Highway Assistance Maintenance Manager and I absolutely love this job."
Working for PennDOT provides an important and valuable service – especially during the winter, when the goal is to keep roadways throughout the Commonwealth passable and as safe as possible.
"I take pride in myself being a snow plow driver, because I know that I'm keeping my family safe, the motoring public safe," says Mike Gonzalez, a Transportation Equipment Operator A in Dauphin County. "Providing that, to me, is fulfilling that they know that they can trust us, that we're out there for them and provide that kind of service."
The WMP has opportunities in counties across the state for a variety of positions:
- Equipment Operators, who perform a variety of duties during the winter season, such as snow removal, traffic control, equipment repair and maintenance, guide rail repair, and truck unloading. Salary: $14.91 - $17.86 hourly (based on location)
- Diesel Mechanics, who perform repairs and maintenance on various pieces of PennDOT equipment and diesel-powered vehicles. Salary: $18.95 - $22.91 hourly (based on location)
- Clerks/Radio Dispatchers, who operate radios during snowstorms and perform various clerical functions throughout the season. Salary: $13.23 hourly.
- Tradesman Helpers, who assist mechanics with the maintenance and repair of equipment. Salary: $14.91 hourly
- Welders, who perform a variety of welding duties such as structural welding of bridge members and fabricating repair parts, in addition to repairs to frames on equipment, hitches, and plows. Salary: $16.79 hourly
- Semi-Skilled Laborers, who act as mechanic helpers to assist with building maintenance as well as perform small repairs such as lubrication jobs, light repairs and tire changes, cleaning, and painting equipment. Salary: $14.91 hourly
- Custodial Workers, who provide custodial support to various roadside rest facilities. Salary: $13.23 hourly
- Stock Clerks, who assist in maintaining and distributing supplies. Salary: $13.23 hourly
HOW DO I APPLY?
Interested applicants may visit www.employment.pa.gov. Once there, they can click "Open Jobs" and view the PennDOT Winter Maintenance Program posting. By clicking "Apply," applicants will be asked to create an account or log-in to an existing account; after completing all necessary fields, including entering personal, work, and educational history information, applicants are able to officially submit their application for consideration. Applicants also have the ability to select the specific job title(s) within the program they are interested in applying for as well as the counties where they are available for work.
Individuals with questions about the WMP may contact the program's resource account at ra-pdSeasonProgram@pa.gov.
Follow PennDOT on social media — Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.