PennDOT snow plows are a common sight along our roads once winter hits. But this year, you might see some more colorful plows that have been painted as part of our Paint the Plow program in conjunction with schools across the state.
What is Paint the Plow?
What counties and schools are participating?
How do I vote for my school?
When will the winners be announced?
How can my school participate next year?
WHAT IS PAINT THE PLOW?
Paint the Plow is a community outreach program in which students are invited to paint a PennDOT snow plow blade with original artwork to represent their individual school. The painted blades will be in service throughout the school's community during the winter-weather months. They also will be used to enhance public awareness, promote safety, and foster greater appreciation of both PennDOT and the school's art program.
When painting, the school must incorporate a themed winter driving safety message, but can also include patriotic, state/local, or weather-related motifs. Students may also incorporate their school's logo, emblem, or mascot into the design.
The competition includes both a "Judges' Pick" winner and a "Fan Favorite" winner. Some districts will have a winner per county, while others will choose a district-wide winner. The Judges' Pick is selected by a panel of judges comprised of representatives from the PennDOT district office, PennDOT central office, and local community organizations or businesses. The judges are given specific parameters for making their selection. The Fan Favorite is determined by the public through PennDOT's Facebook page. A photo of each plow blade is posted on Facebook and the votes are counted by the number of "likes" the plow receives. Each school is provided with a schedule for when the voting will open and end on Facebook.
Additionally, schools from Northumberland County in PennDOT District 3 were invited to participate in a winter maintenance poster contest. Students were asked to incorporate the theme of "Ice and Snow, Take it Slow." A panel of judges from the district, PennDOT central office, and local community organizations or businesses will determine the top 10 entries. Those posters will then be posted on Facebook and an overall winner will be selected based on the number of "likes" that poster receives.
WHAT COUNTIES AND SCHOOLS ARE PARTICIPATING?
Not every PennDOT district offers the Paint the Plow program, and not every county within a participating district chooses to compete. Below is a list of participating counties and schools for 2017.
Armstrong County (District 10):
- Leechburg Area Middle/Senior High School
- Armstrong Junior/Senior High School
Beaver County (District 11):
- Aliquippa Junior/Senior High School
- Hopewell High School
- Quigley Catholic High School
- Western Beaver Junior/Senior High School
Bedford County (District 9):
- Northern Bedford High School
- Bedford High School
- Tussey Mountain Middle/Senior High School
Blair County (District 9):
- Claysburg-Kimmel High School
- Bishop Guilfoyle Catholic High School
- Central High School
- Bellwood-Antis High School
- Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center
- Hollidaysburg Area Senior High School
Butler County (District 10):
- Butler County Area Vocational-Technical School
Cambria County (District 9):
- Admiral Peary Area Vocational Technical School
- Northern Cambria High School
- Richland High School
- Greater Johnstown Senior High School
- Portage Area Junior-Senior High School
- Penn Cambria High School
- Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center
- Forest Hills Senior High School
- Conemaugh Valley Junior-Senior High School
- Central Cambria High School
- Cambria Heights High School
- Blacklick Valley Junior Senior High School
- Bishop McCort Catholic High School
- Bishop Carroll Catholic High School
Centre County (District 2):
- Bald Eagle High School
- Bellefonte Area High School
- Saint Joseph’s Catholic Academy
Clarion County (District 10):
- Keystone Junior Senior High School
- Redbank Valley High School
- Clarion-Limestone High School
Clearfield County (District 2):
- Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School
- Harmony Area High School
Fayette County (District 12):
- Laurel Highlands Senior High School
Fulton County (District 9):
Greene County (District 12):
- Waynesburg Central High School
Huntingdon County (District 9):
- Huntingdon County Career and Technology Center
- Southside Elementary School
- Huntingdon Area High School
- Juniata Valley High School
- Southern Huntingdon County High School
- Mapleton-Union Elementary School
- Standing Stone Elementary School
Indiana County (District 10):
- Homer-Center High School
- Penns Manor Area High School
Jefferson County (District 10):
- Brockway Area Junior/Senior High School
Juniata County (District 2):
Lawrence County (District 11):
- Laurel Junior/Senior High School
- Mohawk Junior/Senior High School
- Neshannock High School
- Shenango Junior/Senior High School
- Union Area Middle/High School
Mercer County (District 1):
- Commodore Perry High School
- Greenville Junior/Senior High School
- Hickory High School
- Mercer Area Middle/High School
- Sharpsville Area Senior High School
Northumberland County (District 3 — Poster Contest):
- Line Mountain High School
- Shamokin Area High School
- Warrior Run Area High School
- Northumberland County Career and Technology Center
- Shikellamy High School
- Mount Carmel Area High School
- Milton High School
- Maranatha Christian School
- Meadowbrook Christian School
- Northumberland Christian School
- Our Lady of Lourdes Regional School
- St. Louis De Montfort Academy
- Sunbury Christian Academy
Somerset County (District 9):
- Shanksville-Stonycreek High School
- Somerset Junior/Senior High School
- Turkeyfoot Valley Area High School
- Windber Area High School
Washington County (District 12):
- Peters Township High School
Westmoreland County (District 12):
- Ketterer Charter School / Adelphoi Village
- Clairview School Intermediate Unit
- Central Westmoreland Career and Technology Center
- Harrison Park Elementary School
- Greater Latrobe Senior High School
- Penn-Trafford High School
- Yough Senior High School
- Trafford Elementary School
- Trafford Middle School
HOW DO I VOTE FOR MY SCHOOL?
Make sure to follow PennDOT on Facebook. Then keep an eye out for a post with your school's plow picture. Like the picture to cast your vote. If you don't see a post, check our albums page for a photo album with schools from your county or district.
WHEN WILL THE WINNERS BE ANNOUNCED?
The winners will be announced at different times depending on the district, but will always be posted on PennDOT's Facebook page, as well as the district's Paint the Plow page.
HOW CAN MY SCHOOL PARTICIPATE NEXT YEAR?
Contact the press office of your local PennDOT district to find out if the it is holding a Paint the Plow program.
In addition to Facebook, PennDOT also is on Twitter and Instagram.