Each year, PennDOT recognizes select employees for their outstanding performance in providing the very best transportation services to Pennsylvanians every day. Recently, 29 employees from around the state were given a Star of Excellence Award, the agency's highest recognition.
These recipients represent a variety of organizational positions, spanning from highway maintenance and driver and vehicle service workers, to traffic control specialists, communications staff, and design and engineering specialists.
"For most of us, this year has been unlike any other, however, we need to look forward and celebrate our successes," said PennDOT Secretary Yassmin Gramian. "I'm proud that even though the circumstances that we've all been living under for the last several months have been challenging, we've been able to make some positive changes for the organization."
This year, because of COVID-19 pandemic, they were honored during an online ceremony.
From the descriptions of our Stars' achievements, you will see how the day-to-day work of exceptional individuals spells great success for PennDOT: significant savings for taxpayers, improved service delivery, and advancements in safety and productivity.
Winners of the 2020 Star of Excellence Awards are listed below. For more information on why each winner was selected, view the Star of Excellence ceremony program (PDF) or see the slideshow at the bottom of this article.
- Jonathan J. Richardson – Survey Tech Supervisor
- Chad Tarr – Transportation Construction Manager
- R. Chris Maney – Senior Highway Maintenance Manager
- Jodi L. Schultz – Clerk Typist
- Aaron B. Crist – Local Project Coordinator
- Kimberly A. Smith – Administrative Officer/Safety Press Officer
- Susan Williams – Senior Civil Engineer Supervisor/Assistant Liaison Manager
- Leo Charney – Civil Engineer Manager (bridges)
- Jose Lopez-Rocha – Senior Civil Engineer Supervisor
- Patricia Pados – Roadway Programs Technician
- Eric Lawrence – Maintenance Repairman
- Hilary J. Fink – Roadside Specialist
- Jennifer Leibig – Transportation Construction Manager
- Daniel L. Storm – Senior Highway Maintenance Manager
- Bonnie Emigh – Roadway Program Coordinator
- Dustin W. Ohler, P.E. – Senior Civil Engineer Supervisor (bridges)
- Raymond L. Suhadolnik – Geologic Specialist
- Tricia McElhaney – Clerk Typist
- Scott Kovach – Roadway Program Coordinator
- Stephanie D. Zolnak, P.E. – Senior Civil Engineer Supervisor
- Douglas Wise – Highway Foreman
- Ryan Medvitz, P.E. – District Maintenance Manager
- Sarah Baker – REAL ID program manager, Driver & Vehicle Services
- Robert Hample – Transportation Planning Specialist, Planning
- Susan Heimberger – Executive Assistant, Multimodal
- Ryan McNary – Traffic Control Specialist Manager, Highway Administration
- Wayne Mears – Deputy Communications Director, Communications Office
- Misty Rotigel – Program Analyst, Highway Administration
- Tammy Tedesco – Administrative Officer, Administration