With winter just around the corner, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) District 9 is getting help from schools in Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fulton, Huntingdon and Somerset Counties in the creative outreach project to promote winter safety called “Paint the Plow.”
The project began in 2015 in Cambria County, after County Manager Jeff Mitchell saw the idea on the Ohio Department of Transportation’s Facebook page and thought it would be a great outreach program to try. The program has been a great success since it began and has continually expanded not only in District 9, but across the state.
“We are always looking for ways to make the public more aware of safety, especially during the winter months, and this is a great opportunity to begin that awareness at an age where the students are just beginning to drive themselves,” said PennDOT District Executive Thomas A. Prestash.
Schools have been asked to paint the plows with a winter safety theme, weather motif or even school mascots, but they must incorporate the theme, “Ice and Snow, Take it Slow”. Once the painting is completed, the plow blades will run in the areas of the respective school districts.
PennDOT has sent applications of interest to high schools and career-technical school across the region. This year, two elementary schools in Huntingdon County will be participating and will be judged in their own category. Plow blades will be delivered as students began classes, and the department will pick up the painted blades no later than Oct. 6.
Once the blades are collected they will be judged by a panel for an overall winner in each county and a “fan favorite” contest will take place for each county as well on the PennDOT Facebook page.
“We are excited to begin this expanded project this year as we have 32 schools participating that will be painting 35 plows,” Prestash said. “We hope the program will not only promote winter safety for the department, but will also showcase the creative talents of our local students.”
For more information on the program please contact Tara Callahan-Henry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-696-7101.
For more information, visit www.penndot.gov. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAAltoona.
MEDIA CONTACT: Tara Callahan-Henry, 814-696-7101
# # #
Editor’s Note – The following is a list by county of the schools participating in the program in PennDOT District 9:
• Bedford High School
• Northern Bedford County High School
• Tussey Mountain Sr. High School
• Bellwood Antis High School
• Bishop Guilfoyle Catholic High School
• Central High School
• Claysburg-Kimmel High School
• Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center (2 plows)
• Hollidaysburg Area Senior High School
• Bishop Carroll Catholic High School
• Bishop McCort High School
• Blacklick Valley Sr. High School
• Cambria Heights High School
• Central Cambria High School
• Conemaugh Valley High School
• Forest Hills High School
• Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center (2 plows)
• Greater Johnstown High School
• Northern Cambria High School
• Penn Cambria High School
• Portage Area Sr. High School
• Richland High School
• Forbes Road High School
• Huntingdon High School
• Juniata Valley High School
• Southern Huntingdon High School
Huntingdon County Elementary
• Mapleton Union Elementary
• Southside Elementary
• Standing Stone Elementary
• Shanksville-Stonycreek High School
• Somerset Senior High School
• Turkeyfoot Valley School District
• Windber Area High School