Harrisburg, PA – The bridge that carries Route 241 over Conoy Creek between Miller and Amosite Roads in West Donegal Township, Lancaster County, reopened to traffic shortly before 3 PM on Saturday, August 26. The crossing had been closed for a bridge replacement project since March. Route 241 is known locally as Bainbridge Road. This portion of Route 241 carries an average daily traffic of nearly 5,800 vehicles.
This bridge is part of an overall construction contract that includes a second bridge replacement project on Route 241 over Conoy Creek in West Donegal Township, located just east of Rutts Road. Construction work on that bridge also began last spring, but the crossing remains closed until work is completed in mid-to-late September.
PennDOT has contracted with Highway Materials, Inc. of Blue Bell, Pennsylvania to replace both bridges on Route 241 at a cost of $2,903,947. The southern bridge which opened on Saturday replaced a single-span bridge that was originally built in 1930 and was classified as structurally deficient due to age and deterioration. The other crossing which is still under construction replaces a two-span bridge that was originally built in 1928 and also classified as structurally deficient due to age and deterioration.