Walking Lesson Plans
Classroom Modules for K-8
Penn State Hershey PRO Wellness Center (formerly known as the Center for Nutrition and Activity Promotion at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital), with sponsorship from the state Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration, has developed a series of 30-minute lesson plans for elementary and middle school teachers to use in their classroom to encourage healthy living and promote walking.
The modules consist of a lesson plan with activities and student materials for reprint. Each of the five modules focuses on one of the following topics:
- Day 1: Energy Balance — Discusses the importance of balancing the amount of food and drink a student consumes (energy in) to provide the right amount of fuel a body needs for healthy growth, everyday living, and physical activity (energy out). Walking Lesson Plan Day 1 (PDF)
- Day 2: Walking for Energy Balance — Focuses on the one hour per day of physical activity (energy out), which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for children and adolescents. Emphasis is given to everyday activities and walking as types of physical activity. Students are given an energy tracker so that they can record the number of minutes they are involved in physical activity each day for a week. Walking Lesson Plan Day 2 (PDF)
- Day 3: Pedestrian Safety — Provides information about walking safely, focusing on the safety that sidewalks provide and potential pedestrian hazards. Students are taught tips for safe walking in a variety of situations, including around school buses. The lesson reviews various street signs that a pedestrian may encounter while walking and what these signs mean. Walking Lesson Plan Day 3 (PDF)
- Day 4: Walking Observations, Part I — Applies the previous pedestrian lessons to the real world by having students go outside and practice observing their surroundings. Students are given a Pedestrian Safety Checklist and told to look for things around their school that make walking unsafe.
Walking Lesson Plan Day 4 (PDF)
- Day 5: Walking Observations, Part II — Ties together what students learned in the previous lessons with discussion about what they observed the day before, what makes their school property safe or unsafe for pedestrians, and how they can ensure they arrive at school safely. Walking Lesson Plan Day 5 (PDF)
The Center for Nutrition and Activity Promotion at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital is committed to helping youth and families in Pennsylvania learn how to eat well, engage in regular physical activity, and incorporate healthy habits into their daily life. More information can be found at www.nrgbalance.org.