FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 22, 2017
Next Phase of the Glenwood Interchange Project begins Monday in Pittsburgh and West Homestead
Pittsburgh – PennDOT District 11 is announcing the next phase of the Glenwood Interchange project in the City of Pittsburgh and West Homestead Borough, Allegheny County, will begin on Monday, February 27 weather permitting.
Crews from J.F. Shea Construction, Inc. will implement the following restrictions to allow work to begin on the next phase of the Glenwood Interchange project:
- An around-the-clock single-lane restriction will occur in each direction of Route 885 for work on the bridge over the northbound Route 837 ramp to southbound Route 885. One lane of Route 885 will remain open in each direction. Work will continue through late November.
- The southbound Route 837 ramp to northbound Route 885 will be closed to traffic around-the-clock through late July. Traffic will be detoured. (Detour information below)
- An around-the-clock single-lane closure will occur on northbound Route 885 in the area of the closed southbound Route 837 ramp to northbound Route 885. One lane will remain open on northbound Route 885. This restriction will remain in place through late November.
- Weeknight closures (Mondays through Thursdays) of southbound Route 837 to southbound Route 885 and Glass Run Road through Friday morning, March 17. Route 837 traffic to southbound Route 885 will detoured at the Hot Metal Bridge, but southbound Route 837 traffic may continue to Becks Run Road. (Detour information below). Additionally, four weekend closures will occur. More information will be provided once the closures are scheduled.
Southbound Route 837 to Northbound Route 885
- From southbound Route 837 take the ramp to southbound Route 885 (Glass Run Road/Mifflin Road)
- Take the ramp to Glass Run Road
- At the stop sign turn left onto Glass Run Road
- At the traffic light, turn left onto northbound Route 885 (Mifflin Road)
- End detour
Southbound Route 837 to Southbound Route 885 and Glass Run Road
- Take the Hot Metal Bridge to Second Avenue
- Turn right to Second Avenue (Route 885)
- Turn right onto Irvin Street (Route 885)
- Cross the Glenwood Bridge and continue southbound on Route 885
- End detour
Crews from J. F. Shea Construction, Inc., will conduct deck replacement work and superstructure replacement on various bridges in the interchange. Additionally, lighting upgrades, safety improvements, painting and minor approach work will occur as part of the $16.9 million Glenwood Interchange project. The project is expected to conclude in December 2017.
Motorists travelling in work area should allow extra time for their travel and expect possible congestion and delays.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 770 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
MEDIA CONTACT: Steve Cowan, 412-429-5010
# # #