Skip Navigation LinksDOT > Contact Us > Damage Claims


If you've experienced damage to your vehicle or property and would like to submit a claim to the commonwealth, please select your county below to be taken to a page containing information on filing a claim. The commonwealth's Bureau of Risk and Insurance Management (BRIM) within the Department of General Services is responsible for determining if a claim should be paid. BRIM is not associated with PennDOT.

BRIM requires PennDOT to review all claims associated with state-owned highways before they make a determination whether to pay.

NOTE ABOUT POTHOLE DAMAGE: You have the right to file a claim for damages to your vehicle as the result of hitting a pothole. Please be aware that BRIM is required to investigate and adjudicate claims against the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in accordance with PA C.S.A. Title 42 § 8522. Exception to Sovereign Immunity (b)5. Potholes and other dangerous conditions, which specifically prohibits the payment of a property damage claims caused by potholes, sinkholes, and/or conditions created by the natural elements. BRIM is bound by the provisions of Act 152 and is required to deny the claim. This applies to every claim except in very limited circumstances.